Vet Blog

Pack Your Bags, And The Pet Food

February 28, 2018

If you're anything like us, you're beginning to think about your summer vacation - where to go, when to go, do you go to the beach, do you go to the lake, do you suck it up and take the kids to a theme park with a human-sized mouse?

But one of the bigger decisions is what to do with the four-legged member of your family while you're gone. While boarding, or having a pet-sitter (family member, friend, or otherwise) are options, every now and then you want to bring along the little furball.

The first thing you need to know is that if you're traveling by plane, make sure to look at all the airline policies before making final reservations. The next thing, check out the individual state and country requirements for bringing a pet to that destination.

One thing you will need is a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or health certificate issued by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) accredited veterinarian such as Benbow Veterinary Services. This is required for international travel and by just about all the states for domestic travel. But don't wait until the last minute! The process could take some time (months for international travel!), so as soon as you know your vacation destination, begin the process.

Start out by visiting the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services pet travel page to see all the requirements each destination has for bringing in a pet. Next, contact us to setup an appointment so we can guide you in getting everything you need (the certificate, updated vaccinations, administration of medications/treatments, etc.). Also note, these requirements apply to road and train travel in some domestic states as well.

For more tips on traveling with your pet, check out these sites:

Don't wait - same day appointments available, and accepting new patients! Click here to book or call us at (504) 304-7367